Thursday 13 December 2012

Liberty Print Patchwork Star Tutorial

Liberty Print Fabric 
Patchwork Star Decoration Tutorial
With Christmas fast approaching, 
now is the time to add those last little touches to your home!

I have made this 5 pointed patchwork star decoration 
using 5 different Liberty Print fabrics
Starting at the top clockwise; Florabunda,  Mitsi, Wiltshire, Capel & Hera

Taking your pattern piece cut 5 separate diamonds for the front
and then another 5 for the back
Click here for the pattern download

taking 2 pieces sew together and press open

leave a 1/4" unsewn in the centre of the star
do this on all seams

Join the next piece, press open
You will now have 3 joined together

I find it easier to press seams open as shown
so you don't get a bump

Taking the last 2 pieces sew these together
and press open

Now join these 2 sets together
and press open

Last seam, join and press
it may have a little bump in the middle but this will be hidden
once stuffed and buttons added!

Repeat the steps above for the other side

I use approx 25cm of ribbon, ric rac or string for the loop
with right sides of the stars together
insert the loop from where you want your top of the star to be.
 In between fabric with the cut edges hanging out, pin

Sew all edges together leaving a small opening,
I tend to leave the opening one one of the bottom edges.
Cut off the excess fabric on the tips

Turn right side out and fully stuff
slip stitch the opening closed

Find two cute buttons, and the longest needle you can find
I broke into my Pin Cushion Button Jar that I purchased in Liberty's!

Sew a couple of stitches pulling tight before sewing on a button on each side
Now you are finished!

I have been lucky enough to be featured in The Liberty's Blog on their website
with my Elf Stocking tutorial
Excited, its like Christmas came early!!
I would love for you to take a look
There are also other tutorials for you to try out.

And if you are looking for gifts for her your wonderful wife, girlfriend or lover!
Then check these out, but as I am the one most likely to be in Liberty's buying, I can buy these for myself (Shhhh!)......

Kx

5 comments:

  1. This is so cute! I thought I'd made enough decorations but I will have to try this out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely way to use treasured Liberty "scraps".

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great tutorial! I will try this if I get time next week. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! Thanks for the tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  5. gorgeous! I have some super scraps left from my stocking makes....looks like I have found a great way to use them up! Follow SOTAK too! The rest of the scraps will be used to make SOTAK-style Christmas drinks coaters...thanks! xx

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all you comments, ideas and things that may even help out!