Wednesday 5 December 2012

Elf Christmas Stocking Tutorial & Pattern


Elf Christmas Stocking Tutorial & Pattern

These shown are in Liberty Print Fabrics

As promised a tutorial and downloadable pattern,
for you to scale to what ever size you want your stockings.

Also a reminder I am also giving away one of the stockings,
it is open to anybody anywhere in the world!!
all you have to do is go to the previous post
leave a message and I will be picking a winner on Sunday.
The Tutorial
I used approx FQ to 1/2 metre/yard of fabric on these
And used 4 different fabrics
2 pieces for the leg
2 pieces for the toe
2 heel pieces
1 piece for the cuff
PLUS batting or thin wadding
optional cotton lining inside same size as batting
(so it is sandwiched, you can also buy cotton backed wadding)
TIP: if you don't have either of these and want to use up those craft things you have been hoarding, you know that 1/2 metre of felt you have hanging around!
Then use this to bulk it out, after all, its not a quilt that is being washed all the time.
First cut out your paper pattern 
Then cut out your fabric pieces
2 x leg
2 x toe
2 x heel
1 x cuff on fold 
Taking one toe piece & leg piece
match up 
On join, fold right sides together
(hard to see on the Tana lawn fabric! sorry!)
Pin
NOTE: see the 1/4" overlap at edges.
You will sew a 1/4" seam, so this overlap will help prevent it being off centre
sometimes only practice makes sense on this when you open it out and iron.. 
Open out and iron
I still have unmatched seams on the left,
but don't worry it will be trimmed up later 
repeat this for the other side of the stocking
Next lay the cotton white fabric right side down - if using
then the batting, wadding or elt (what ever you have to hand)
Then one of the the stocking sides face up
then lay the heel in place, pin.
First I using a zigzag stitch sew the heel in place,
this also prevents fraying
Then I freehand quilt the rest of the stocking,
if you don't know how or do not have a machine foot to do this
then just straight line stitch at  a random intervals across the stocking.
Next after sewing both sides cut around the edges.
You should end up with something similar to the above photo. 
With right sides together line up your heel
Pin,  sew around the edge with a 1/4" seam, leaving the top end open 
Before turning, snip into all the curves 
and snip away fabric at the curly toe
Turned stocking
TIP: push the toe out using a large knitting needle.
just be careful not to push the needle through the fabric.
Then put to one side.
Taking your cuff piece of fabric opened out 
notice longer edge along top and bottom
shorter edge left and right
Fold in half
shorted ends together, and right sides together,
sew down what is now the longer side,
shown on the right side of this photo,
turn right-side out, you will have a tube, iron flat the seam
Then turn up, so both raw edges are toether 
A closer look of the other end
then iron flat again 
We are now on the home straight!
Taking your stocking and cuff piece
as shown 
place your cuff inside the stocking and pin.
All your raw edges will be together 
You stocking maybe large enough to go around the bottom of your machine,
The way you may sew a leg hem.
if you remove the attached plate,
If not careful sew with the cuff above the machine
(I will add a photo as reference as this is what I did)
Then over-lock the seam, and trim
Pull the cuff out from the inside 
And fold the cuff over the stocking leg
Iron.
Last thing to do is stuff to the toe add a jingle bell, 
then a piece of ribbon and optional button at the top for hanging  and decoration.
You are now all finished!
For these I used Libery Print Fabrics
For the pattern
If you have problems
email me at blondedesign@hotmail.co.uk

12 comments:

  1. This tutorial is excellent. I love everything about these stockings. The curly toes! The Liberty! What excellence!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elite custom customized tube crew socks for men women and kids. Cool colorfull funky funny vintage designs for every one christmas socks

      Delete
  2. These are too cute. I am going to make them for a friend who is a real elf lover!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so cute - love the fabrics that you used. Thanks for the great tutorial. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this in these prints ! Thanks so much for linking up and sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are the most amazing looking stockings ever!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing. They are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. SO cute. I'm glad I didn't get stockings made yet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made two of your stockings today for my husband and me! I love them, thank you for sharing your tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adorable stockings...I'm off to make one! Thanks for the download pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are so adorable. I searched all over for a pattern to make stockings for my little niece and nephew and was thrilled to find this. They came out amazing and my sister says they are -- and I quote -- "the most precious stocking I’ve ever seen on this planet, bar none"! Thank you so much.
    Is it OK with you if I make some more and try to sell them in my etsy shop next holiday season? do I pay you up front for commercial use of the pattern or pay you a percentage of any sales?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always like your blog post because you always comes with different ideas and information. I always shared your site post with my friends. Keep posting and i will follow you.
    Christmas elf

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all you comments, ideas and things that may even help out!